FSSAI issues Legal Advisory for maintaining sanitation
With its steadfast educational support and assistance, FSSAI is assisting all the food businesses across India towards realising the goal of a healthy India. As a matter of fact, more than any regulatory convention, it is the sincerity of the food business operators who have FSSAI registration, towards their goodwill, that brings about a difference in society.
The apex authority for ensuring Food Safety, FSSAI has always provided necessary support and guidance to all the FBOs across India. Very recently, it has brought various measures regarding FSSAI registration, including the significant decision of conducting a 3rd party food safety audit as to instil proper compliance in the food industry.
The great food connoisseurs Ranveer & Gautam were discussing these important updates when suddenly Gautam broke the news-
Noticing the rampant food wastage and dumping across the nation, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has now released a strict legal advisory notice to all the FBOs in India to adhere to the laws regarding sanitation, cleanliness and hygiene.
On this, Ranveer questioned-
#1. Why has FSSAI issued a legal notice to all FBOs?
Gautam: FSSAI has noticed that numerous FBOs in general including Kiryana stores, Retailers and street food business operators are found littering or dumping food wastes and other non-food refuse stuff in the locality of their business premises, i.e. on roads and streets.
- They primarily do so during the time of closing of their business activity in the evening.
- This open dumping of foodstuffs is posing a serious threat to food safety. Moreover, it causes serious risk to public well-being, just as improper waste disposal leads to cross-contamination of food due to pest or insect contact.
- Alarmed with the potential life-threatening diseases, the FSSAI has issued a legal notice to all FBOs having FSSAI registration to strictly follow the food safety and sanitation norms.
#2. What is the legal advice given to the FBOs?
Gautam: Through the legal notice, the FSSAI has listed some key directives for FBOs covered under FSSAI registration, as below-
- Avoid collection of food wastes in & around the business place, storage & warehouse area and in the locality of the premises.
- Properly discard all food & non-food waste stuff according to FSSAI norms.
- Kiryana (grocery) stores and other FBOs are advised not to dump wastes in open during the day or at night. They should dispose of such stuff in the covered dustbins and further transfer it to places for such disposals. As a matter of fact,
#3. What legal action can be taken against defaulters?
Gautam: FSSAI Department has decided in case the FBOs having FSSAI license are found guilty of the violation of the aforesaid food safety and sanitation norms-
- An advisory shall be issued for complying to the provisions regarding sanitation, cleanliness and food hygiene.
- A 15 days time will be given for conforming to the FSSAI regulations, after which a punitive action shall be taken against the violators.
#4. What was the need of issuing a legal notice?
Gautam: According to authorities have said that food wastage and dumping is a serious violation of the law. Otherwise, also, it is said- “Cleanliness is next to Godliness.” Providing safe and healthy food to all is the mandate of law, thus FSSAI has issued a legal notice regarding the same to FBOs covered under FSSAI registration.
Surely, this will assure better food safety & sanitation in the country.
If you need any further guidance on FSSAI registration to feel free to contact us at 8881-069-069.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates relating to your business.