How and where one can surrender GST certificate
GST has become one of the most discussed topics in the country. Everyone is still confused about the process for registering for GST. But these days a major issue which is arising is that how to surrender and where to surrender for GST certificate. If you have registered for GST by mistake and you worried that what should be the further process then don’t worry. If you have registered for GST and want to surrender to it, we are here sharing how and where one can surrender GST Certificate. Before starting the entire process, we would like to add that one can cancel GST Registration only if the annual turnover is less than â‚¹20 lacs.
Conditions for cancellation of GST Registration
GST Registration can be canceled through two ways: -
By the registered person – A person can apply for registration cancellation himself if the organization fulfills following conditions: -
- If your turnover is less than â‚¹20 lacs;
- If your business has been discontinued;
- Death of the registrant in case of sole proprietor;
- If the business is no longer liable to GST (like you have taken registration for the sake you trade inter-state but later government relaxed the norms that GST registration not mandatory for inter-state trade)
By GST Officer – GST officer can cancel the registration if the organization falls under following conditions: -
- If the Organization has violated any law against GST.
- A composition registered person has not filed tax for three consecutive years.
- If the registration process has been done through fraud methods.
- If the registered company has not generated any business from the last six months after registration for GST.
How to surrender GST Registration by own?
If you want to surrender GST Registration then you must follow following steps: -
- You must log into GST Portal and click on the cancellation.
- Fill form GST REG – 16 applications for cancellation of GST Registration and provide details like liability date, details of payment, inputs, and capital goods held in stock.
- The person must reply in Form REG – 18 within 7 days after the notice asking the cause for the cancellation of registration.
- After verification, the order will be passed in Form GST REG – 20.
- If the cancellation is confirmed then an officer will issue the order under Form GST REG - 19.
If one cancels CGST then SGST will automatically be canceled and vice versa. Now, relax and take a deep breath. If you have applied for GST by mistake, then you can apply for cancellation.