How does ISO certification help fight against Bribery & Corruption?
It can never be negated that corruption is the biggest loophole in any nation’s development. It ceases the entire economy to attain the desired growth level despite relentless efforts towards the same. One of the primary catalysts of the jinx of corruption is bribery. Everyone knows that bribery is the most rampant form of corruption. It has become one of the most destructive and challenging issues of the world.
Though seeming to be a trivial issue in its initial stage, the impact of bribery can be really catastrophic. It reduces the quality of life at the macro level, widens economic inequality and drives away public trust. As per the recent estimates by the World Bank, over US$ 1 trillion are paid in bribes every year.
In spite of ceaseless efforts on the micro as well as macro levels to ward off the evil of bribery, the problem stands unaddressed. The solution to this problem is indeed complying to the global quality standards. There is no surprise that the solution against the malpractice of bribery is ISO certification.
In view of the above-mentioned challenges, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has devised a separate management system standard to enable the organizations all over the world combat the evil practice of bribery and promoting an ethical work culture. It is the ISO 37001.
#1. Who needs the ISO certification 37001?
Basically, the guidelines under the ISO 37001 are generic in nature and are considered to be applicable to all kinds of organizations, irrespective of the type or scale of the operations, and nature of the business activity.
- They are also applicable to different divisions within an organization.
- In the Indian perspective, the ISO certification 37001 is suitable in the public, private or non-profit sectors.
- This may include state-owned PSUs, large-scale organizations or even MNCs, MSMEs and non-governmental organizations or NGOs.
#2. How will ISO 37001 be helpful in an organization’s efforts to combat bribery?
- The remedial steps required under ISO 37001 directives are framed to be integrated into all the management processes & controls.
- The ISO certification 37001 is thus based on the ISO High-Level Structure (HLS), which is also prevalent in all other types of ISO standards.
- This implies that ISO 37001 can also be easily integrated into other existing management system standards such as quality (ISO 9001), environmental (ISO 14001) and occupational health & safety (ISO 45001).
#3. What is the current edition of ISO 37001?
As of now, ISO 37001:2016 is the latest version.
If you seek any sort of help regarding the ISO certification, feel free to contact our business advisor at 8881-069-069.
Download E-Startup Mobile App for the latest business and legal updates.