How to conduct the Gap Analysis Audit of an organisation in a systematic way?
One of the initial stages during the course of implementation of a Quality Management System (QMS) or its renovation in any organisation is to conduct a comparative analysis between your QMS in place with the one which is deemed as per directives of the ISO standards. This procedure is commonly known as the Gap Analysis.
In the common parlance, a gap analysis is a comparison between current performance with the potential performance by tracking and outdoing the anomalies in QMS.
The entire process of Gap Analysis is detailed and all-inclusive and involves sequential steps.
Here is the complete process of Gap Analysis explained elaborately.
#1. What are the important functions needed to be done before conducting Gap Analysis?
Here are the most obligatory functions that are needed to be executed before conducting a Gap Analysis:
- Appointment of the personnel to conduct the Gap Analysis; the experienced professionals who have vast experience of quality system audit must be given preference.
- It can be really helpful if expert assistance is accessed from a consultant.
- Creating or hiring a Gap Analysis Checklist.
#2. How to program the Gap Analysis?
This is one of the preliminary steps while conducting the Gap Analysis, that needs to duly considered. Here is the detailed process of scheduling the Gap Analysis:
- Finalize the date for Gap Analysis, and intimate the same to all employees. You may use the Employee flyer that is included in the Gap Analysis Checklist for this purpose.
- Determine the type of audit. It can be decided on the basis of the process, or by area of the facility (i.e. soft/physical audit).
- Classify the facility into controllable areas. Here facility refers to any Tangible asset that supports the organization.
- Allot time to the audit of each area of the facility.
- It’s preferable to the assign portfolios to entire audit team to cover the various areas.
- Distribute the Gap Analysis checklists to each auditor according to the area he will cover.
#3. What is the process of Gap Analysis?
After the scheduling part is done, next is to begin the Gap Analysis process. You need to proceed as per the schedule that has been chalked out. Besides, you need to evaluate the current QMS in each area.
Here’s how to go about it-
- You need to proceed as per the schedule that has been chalked out. Besides, you need to evaluate the current QMS in each area.
- Clearly, perceive what the current and proposed scenario a propos ISO certification QMS. The audit must be focused on whether the present system goes along with the requirements of ISO 9001.
- Make careful notes on what is in place, and what needs to be amended.
- Also, notice the interlinking of all the processes in the organization.
#4. How to summarize and report the Gap Analysis audit?
The entire Gap Analysis audit now needs to be summarized in the form of a Gap Analysis report.
This report must clearly specify-
- The processes that meet the requirements of ISO Certification and are documented,
- Processes that meet the requirements of ISO standards but are not documented,
- Processes that do not comply with ISO standard.
- Those processes required by the standard but are not introduced yet.
A methodical Gap Analysis audit as explained above can indubitably help in successful implementation of the ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System.
If you need any sort of guidance regarding the ISO certification, feel free to contact our business advisor at 8881-069-069.