Why Tamil Nadu high court banned Rapido App?
The sincerely determined effort towards conforming the global quality standards ultimately helps any organization derive true customer satisfaction. This helps in attaining the desired level of growth.
In order to raise the level of customer satisfaction, an organization must follow global benchmarks for quality. This can be attained with the ISO certification.
However, in the absence of quality benchmarks, the credibility of products & services goes down. Sometimes, this may result in the devaluation of the services in the eyes of law.
This is what has happened in the most recent case of the ban on Rapido App in Tamil Nadu.
1. What is the case of Rapido App Ban in Tamil Nadu?
Recently, the Madras High Court has banned the popular bike taxi booking app ‘Rapido’. This app provides bike-sharing services to people all over India. According to the High court order passed by Justice G Jayachandran, the ban shall exist in Tamil Nadu until the Tamil Nadu government brings any further regulations in this respect.
2. What does the Rapido App do?
Rapido is a very popular mobile application that provides motorbike-sharing services at low fare across India. It is mainly used by the people living in densely populated metros.
- People generally use this app to book bike taxis during peak hours, when there’s there is huge traffic.
- After booking a bike taxi, the bike-rider, also called “Captain”, quickly comes to pick up the passenger.
- These bike taxis come handy as compared to other cabs, as they are convenient on congested roads. Plus, they are available at the cheap fare.
3. Why has Madras High Court banned Rapido App?
The Madras high court has banned the Rapido App because it has violated the traffic norms and other necessary compliance. Over 175 bikes, 96 from Chennai alone have been fined around ₹2,000-4,000 for misuse of the permit, as per the Tamil Nadu traffic department.
4. Which rules have been violated by Rapido App?
According to the Madras high court, Rapido App has violated traffic norms and other compliance.
- The road transport rules in India are governed under the Motor Vehicles Act 1988.
- Every state has its own rules for motor vehicles. According to traffic norms in Tamil Nadu, 2-wheelers can’t operate as commercial vehicles. Hence, in this case, bike taxis are operating illegally.
- Moreover, many bikes with temporary number plates run freely on the roads.
- Commercial vehicles are also required to follow the norms of GST registration, which these bikes do not follow.
5. What is the business model of Rapido App?
As per the Rapido business model-
- Anyone can get registered as a Rapido “captain” if he has 2-wheeler and a driving license. A Rapido “captain” is not a trained rider. The company claims to authenticate the documents and adds him in the database as “captains”.
- He will then be allotted the ride based on the route he takes.
- The Chennai traffic police have quoted this business model as purely illegal.
- Thus, Madras high court has banned the Rapido App.
- Court has also ordered Google and Apple to delist Rapido bike taxi app from their app stores.
Besides, Rapido will not be able to offer its services in Tamil Nadu till the ban is lifted.
6. Which safety norms have been violated by Rapido App?
Rapido App has failed to follow required safety norms. The bike-riders are supposed to give a certified helmet to the pillion rider and are required to carry a first-aid kit as well. Though the company claims to follow these rules, the “Captains” never follow them, as per the app-users.
- Recently in April 2019, a software engineer in Hyderabad, who had booked bike taxi through Rapido died after meeting with a severe accident. He had succumbed to serious head injuries.
- Rapido has been already banned in Bengaluru by state transport regulatory authorities for non-compliance.
- Experts have also stressed on ISO certification of such cab-services.
7. What is the risk in this bike taxi service?
The biggest risk involved in this bike taxi service is that the rides are not legally insured.
In Rapido, Bikes only have personal insurance cover. This means they will cover only the rider and not the 3rd party, i.e. passenger. Hence, victims are left helpless in case of any mishap.
Ideally, there is a need for ISO certification of all the cab services to address all the above issues. The ISO 9001 certification emphasizes on complete customer satisfaction.
Now, customer satisfaction is completely attained if there is quality efficiency along with the proper implementation of all safety norms.
Hence, ISO certification is a must for all organizations.
If you need any kind of help in the process of getting ISO certification, feel free to contact our business advisor at 8881-069-069.
Now you can easily avail online ISO certification services at the following zones:-
|ISO Certification in Delhi||ISO Certification in Pune||ISO Certification in Gurgaon|
|ISO Certification in Chennai||ISO Certification in Mumbai||ISO Certification in Bangalore|
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates relating to your business.