GST is a key part of business taxes in India. It streamlined taxation by applying a single tax to goods and services. Yes, Sole Proprietors can definitely have 2 GST Numbers but in only certain scenarios which are discussed below.
Furthermore, For sole proprietors, it’s vital to grasp GST implications and the possibility of having two GST numbers, which we’ll understand in this article.
What is the GST Number?
A GST Number is a unique 15-digit code that is assigned to every business registered under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) system in India.
It is essential for businesses because it allows them to collect GST on their sales, claim input tax credits, and comply with tax regulations.
In simple words, a GST Number is like a tax ID number for a business.
It is required for businesses to do business legally in India.
Here are some of the benefits of having a GST Number:
- Claim input tax credit: Businesses can claim input tax credit (ITC) on the GST paid on their inputs and services. This can help to reduce the overall tax burden on the business.
- Issue tax invoices to customers: Tax invoices are required for businesses to claim ITC.
- File GST returns: GST returns are required to be filed by all businesses that are registered for GST.
- Establish credibility: A GST number that you get through GST Registration can help to establish a business’s credibility with its customers and suppliers.
Understand about Sole Proprietorship and GST
A sole proprietorship is a business structure in which one person owns and operates the business.
You can run a business as a single owner by having Sole Proprietorship Registration.
Sole proprietors are required to register for GST (Goods and Services Tax) if their aggregate turnover exceeds a certain threshold in a financial year.
- GST registration offers several benefits, such as allowing sole proprietors to claim input tax credit and building customer trust.
- Input tax credit is a refund of GST that businesses pay on their inputs, such as raw materials, goods, and services. This can help businesses to reduce their overall tax burden.
- Customer trust is another important benefit of GST registration. Potential customers are more likely to trust businesses that are GST registered, as this indicates that the business is operating in a legitimate and compliant manner.
Understand the benefits of having GST Registration or GST Number in detail at: What are the benefits of gst registration under law
Situations Requiring Multiple GST Numbers for Sole Proprietorship
1. Business Expansion
As a sole proprietor’s business grows, they might wish to streamline accounting and tax compliance by obtaining distinct GST Numbers for each business division.
2. Diversification into Different Businesses
Sole proprietors managing multiple businesses with distinct activities may opt for separate GST Numbers to ensure precise tax reporting and compliance.
3. Operating Across States or Regions
When conducting operations in multiple states, separate GST Numbers may be necessary to adhere to state-specific tax regulations, considering GST’s central and state administration.
Applying for Multiple GST Numbersṣ for Sole Proprietorship Business
- Create a GST portal account.
- Provide business details, address, and activities.
- Specify applicable GST rates.
- Receive an acknowledgment number for tracking application status.
How to manage multiple GST numbers
If you have multiple businesses or business locations, you may need to obtain multiple GST numbers. This can be a challenge to manage, but it is important to do so correctly to avoid penalties and interest charges.
Here are some tips on how to manage multiple GST numbers:
- Keep separate records for each business entity. This includes tracking your income and expenses, as well as your GST transactions.
- Use different bank accounts for each business entity. This will help you to keep track of your finances and to avoid errors in GST filing and payments.
- File your GST returns on time for each of your business entities. This is important to avoid penalties and interest charges.
- Consider using a GST accounting software such as Instabill. The Instabill online website and app can help you to automate the process of GST filing and payments, and to track your GST compliance.
Benefits of having multiple GST numbers
- Reduced tax burden: If a business has multiple GST numbers, it can claim ITC on the GST paid through GST Return Filing on its inputs and services for each business entity. This can help to reduce the overall tax burden on the business.
- Simplified accounting: Having multiple GST numbers can make it easier to keep track of the finances of each business entity. You can also make accounting easy for multiple GST Numbers through outsourcing it to experts through Online Bookkeeping and Accounting Service.
- Improved credibility: Having multiple GST numbers can make a business appear more credible to its customers and suppliers.
- Compliance with different GST rates: If a business is engaged in different business activities that are subject to different GST rates, having multiple GST numbers can help to ensure that the correct GST rate is applied to each business activity.
Moreover, If you want any other guidance relating to Can a Sole Proprietor Have 2 GST Numbers, please feel free to talk to our business advisors at 8881-069-069.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates narrating to your business.