To ensure credibility, it is mandatory for every food business set up to acquire a license from FSSAI, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI Registration is required for all food-related businesses such as manufacturers, traders, restaurants, small eateries, grocery shops, importers, exporters, home-based food businesses, dairy farms, processors, retailers, e-tailers.
Considering the great inconvenience caused due to the lockdown imposed because of Coronavirus outbreak, FSSAI has given relaxation to the Food Business Operators (FBOs) except the manufacturers to operate their business only with the FSSAI registration application.
1. Relaxation to FBOs to run the business with FSSAI application
The notice has been issued by the Executive Director of FSSAI on 31st March 2020 to allow the FBOs to run the business without the FSSAI registration. During the COVID-19 lockdown, they can operate the business on the basis of the FSSAI registration application.
2. Why are FBOs allowed to run business with FSSAI application?
The unprecedented lockdown imposed due to the COVID-19 outbreak is taking a toll on the lives of many business people. Moreover, it is affecting the food supply chain across the country. FSSAI has taken an initiative to address this issue. It has now granted FBOs permission to temporarily run their business on the basis of the application for FSSAI registration during the lockdown.
3. How can FBOs operate during the Lockdown?
The Food Business Operators can apply for FSSAI registration online and pay the govt. fee through online mode. They will be provided a 17 digit Application Reference Number (ARN) by the FSSAI department.
Before commencement of the business, a mail has to be sent to the concerned licensing, registering authority or the State Commissioner of Food Safety informing them about the same. The FSSAI registration application has to be signed by the Proprietor, Director, Partner, or a senior employee of the FBO.
4. What if a query is raised in the FSSAI registration application?
In case a query is raised in the FSSAI registration application, the FBO shall be answerable to the concerned State Commissioner of Food Safety. He will be bound to act on their advice at every step.
If at any point, the FSSAI license stands canceled by the FSSAI, the FBO must wind up its business immediately, even if it is at any point during the lockdown.
5. What after the Lockdown?
The above-stated relief has only been granted to the FBOs only in times of the lockdown.
- As soon as the lockdown ends, the FBO is supposed to discontinue his business within 30 days of the termination of lockdown and complete the FSSAI registration process first.
- Once the FBO obtains the FSSAI registration or license, it can continue with its operations of the business.
6. How FSSAI registration process will be improved after lockdown?
Yes. FSSAI has stated that the FSSAI registration process shall be accelerated after the lockdown.
- Commissioner of Food Safety shall ensure that the FSSAI application is processed on a priority basis.
- The authority approval shall be granted speedily for the FSSAI registration or license. However, the approval shall be subject to inspection either physical or by e-inspection i.e. through videos or images,
The FBOs are required to obey with the observation of the inspection.
FSSAI has also extended the Due date to renew the FSSAI license. Besides, the FSSAI authority has also extended the Due date to file FSSAI returns. These are just some of the relaxations given by the FSSAI department to the FBOs of India.
If you need any assistance regarding the procedure for obtaining the FSSAI registration, or renewal of the FSSAI license, please feel free to call our business advisors at 8881-069-069.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates relating to your business.