Infant food plays a crucial role in the development and growth of babies. It is important that the food products meant for infants meet certain safety and quality standards. FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) is the national regulatory body responsible for laying down standards for food products in India, including infant food. FSSAI registration is mandatory for any business involved in the production, distribution, and sale of infant food products in India. In this article, we will discuss the basics of the FSSAI license for infant food in detail.
What is FSSAI Registration?
FSSAI registration is a licensing process that ensures that the food products being produced, distributed, and sold in India meet certain safety and quality standards. It is mandatory for all food businesses in India, including those involved in the production, distribution, and sale of infant food products. FSSAI registration is granted by the FSSAI and is valid for 1-5 years, depending on the type of business and the nature of the products being produced.
Types of FSSAI Registration:
- There are three types of FSSAI license depending on the nature and scale of the food business:
- Basic FSSAI Registration: This type of registration is meant for small-scale food businesses with an annual turnover of less than INR 12 lakh.
- State FSSAI Registration: This type of registration is meant for food businesses with an annual turnover between INR 12 lakh and INR 20 crore.
- Central FSSAI Registration: This type of registration is meant for food businesses with an annual turnover of more than INR 20 crore.
Learn in detail through our guide: FSSAI Registration Guide
What are Infant Food Products?
Infant food products are those that are specifically formulated for infants and young children up to the age of two years. These products are meant to provide the necessary nutrients and energy required for the growth and development of babies. Some examples of infant food products include infant formula, baby cereals, pureed fruits and vegetables, and other similar products.
FSSAI Registration Process for Infant Food:
The process of FSSAI registration for infant food involves the following steps:
Determine the type of FSSAI As mentioned earlier, there are three types of FSSAI depending on the nature and scale of the food business. It is important to determine the type of registration required based on the annual turnover of the business.
Fill out the application form: The next step is to fill out the FSSAI registration application form, which can be downloaded from the FSSAI website. The application form must be filled out accurately and completely, as any incomplete or incorrect information could result in the rejection of the application.
Submit the application form: The completed application form, along with all the required documents, must be submitted to the FSSAI office or online through the FSSAI portal.
Wait for the application to be processed: Once the application has been submitted, it will be processed by the FSSAI. The processing time may vary depending on the nature and scale of the business and the completeness of the application.
Receive the FSSAI certificate: If the application is approved, the FSSAI will issue an FSSAI certificate, which must be displayed prominently at the food business premises.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration:
The following documents are required for FSSAI registration:
- Identity proof of the proprietor or director of the food business (such as PAN card, voter ID, driver’s license, etc.)
- Proof of ownership of the food business premises (such as sale deed, rent agreement, etc.)
- List of food products being produced, distributed, and sold
- Details of food processing equipment and machinery
- Details of water source and treatment
- Hygiene and sanitation certificate from a recognized institution
- List of directors, partners, or proprietors of the business (if applicable)
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the local health department
- FSSAI fee receipt (if applicable)
FSSAI registration is an important process for any business involved in the production, distribution, and sale of infant food products in India. It ensures that the food products meet certain safety and quality standards and are suitable for consumption by infants and young children. The process of FSSAI registration for infant food involves filling out an application form, submitting it along with the required documents, and waiting for the application to be processed. If the application is approved, the FSSAI will issue an FSSAI certificate and without having it, you can not conduct infant food business in India.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates reciting to your business.