FSSAI is the main body responsible for food safety in India. It sets regulations and requires food businesses to be registered and licensed.
There are three types of FSSAI license, depending on the type, size, and turnover of the business.
Let’s understand all about the three types of FSSAI Licence so that you get the right one for your business.
Three Major Types of FSSAI License in India
There are three types of FSSAI/Food Licenses in India: Basic, State, and Central licenses.
These are classified on the basis of turnover and described below:
- FSSAI Basic License/Registration: For businesses with an annual turnover under 12 lakhs, they must register with FSSAI through FSSAI Basic License.
- FSSAI State License: Businesses with an annual turnover between 12 to 20 crores should apply for the FSSAI State license using Form B.
- FSSAI Central License: If the annual turnover exceeds 20 crores, businesses should opt for the Central License using Form B.
Thus, Food business operators must apply for FSSAI Registration according to their annual turnover as mentioned above.
You can understand the types of FSSAI License in India through the table below:
|Type||Issuing Authority||Eligibility Criteria||Validity|
|Central License||Central Government||Importers, exporters, large manufacturers, central government agencies, ports, airports, etc.||Annual turnover of ₹20 crore or above|
|State License||State Government||SMEs, transporters, storage houses, distributors, marketers, etc.||Annual turnover of ₹2 lakh to ₹20 crore|
|Basic Registration License||State Government||Small manufacturers, storage units, transporters, marketers, and distributors||Annual turnover of less than ₹12 lakh|
What to do if you have a food business in various locations?
If you are a food business operator (FBO) running a business from multiple locations, you must obtain a separate FSSAI Registration or license for each location.
This is because the FSSAI license is premise-based, meaning that it is specific to the location where the food business is operated.
If you are a private limited company with a registered office in Mumbai and operating ten locations across India, you will need to obtain a central license for your registered office and a separate license for each of the 10 operating locations, depending on the turnover of each location. After registering for your food business with FSSAI for each location, you can keep the track record of each fssai number online through simple steps mentioned here: How to Check FSSAI License Number Online?
Benefits of getting FSSAI License or FSSAI Registration
- Expand your business: Many government and private organizations require FSSAI licensing for their suppliers. Having an FSSAI license can open up new business opportunities for you.
- Attract investors: Investors are more likely to invest in a business that has an FSSAI license, as it shows that the business is serious about food safety and compliance.
- Increase sales: Customers are more likely to buy from businesses that they trust to provide safe and high-quality food. An FSSAI license can help to increase your sales by building trust with potential customers.
Documents for FSSAI license/ FSSAI Registration:
- Address Proof
- Identity proof
- List of food categories
- Layout plan
- Details of all the equipment
- Passport photograph
- NOC from municipality
- MoA and AoA
- Import Export Code
- Water Test Report
View this post on Instagram
Do you also want FSSAI License or Registration for your food business?
Understand the stepwise process here: The ultra-simple FoSCoS Fssai registration process
For more information on types of FSSAI License, feel free to consult our FSSAI Registration experts at: 8881-069-069.