Government Introduces special drive for FSSAI registration
The apex food safety regulator Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has enforced a number of measures towards food & health safety compliance by Indian food businesses. It regular conducts inspections of the food businesses operators (FBOs) across India for the proper compliance regarding FSSAI registration and FSSAI license.
From time to time, FSSAI has taken stringent measures to enforce compliance among the FBOs. However, in recent times, FSSAI has noticed certain loopholes in the proper implementation of regulations. Hence, the food safety regulator has decided to hold a special drive for checking FSSAI registration and FSSAI licensing of the FBOs.
1. What are the non-compliances found in FSSAI registration process?
Recently, FSSAI has discovered certain irregularities in the FSSAI registration process such as-
- FSSAI Licensing in the wrong categories,
- FBOs continuing the business with invalid FSSAI license or FSSAI registration that have expired.
- FBOs obtaining new FSSAI license or FSSAI registration instead of a renewal of the existing one, as to escape the penalty for non-compliance.
- FBOs involved in food manufacturing or processing that is not mentioned on their FSSAI license.
Hence, the FSSAI has proposed to begin a special drive for addressing the 4 types of non-compliance mentioned above.
2. How will the FSSAI compliance drive be carried out?
The FSSAI will implement the compliance drive in 2 phases.
- In Phase-I, FBOs will be provided facility over the FSSAI portal, for authentication of their-
- Status of the FSSAI License
- Products endorsed on the License
- FSSAI registration application and
- FSSAI License modification
- In Phase-II, FSSAI will undertake enforcement activities such as punishment and penalizing the defaulting FBOs as per the FSS Act 2006.
3. How will FSSAI compliance Phase-I be carried out?
The Phase-I of the FSSAI compliance drive will be carried out from 1st July to 30th September 2019. During this period,
- There will be Self-assessment by FBOs on FSSAI portal and defaulters will be identified by FSSAI Authority.
- FSSAI has also introduced the ‘Food Products Identity verification System’ (FPIVS). Through this portal, the FBOs can verify whether their products are endorsed in their FSSAI License, and are they being manufactured as per FSSAI Standards.
- Further, FBOs will be able to check whether their products are covered under-
- FSSAI Standards,
- Proprietary Products or
- Novel Foods
- FSSAI will provide an id-number to all these products.
- Thereafter, FBOs shall be supposed to verify their FSSAI license details and to report any anomalies or modification needed. For this purpose, the FBOs shall be intimated via email, print, electronic and social media.
The Commissioners of Food Safety, State Nodal Officers and the FSSAI Regional Offices will advise FBOs to carry out modification of their existing FSSAI license or FSSAI registration.
4. How will FSSAI compliance Phase-II be carried out?
The Phase-II of FSSAI compliance drive will be carried out from 1st October 2019 onwards. This will involve the prosecution of defaulters.
- For this purpose, an Awareness drive would be launched wherein consumers and consumer forums shall check on FSSAI portal whether the FBOs are having a valid FSSAI License or FSSAI Registration. whether the License/Registration includes the correct Kind of Business and products endorsed.
- The webpage will allow consumers to report defaulter food businesses to the Licensing Authorities.
- Meanwhile, State Food Authorities shall begin special drives to identify defaulters.
- Based on feedback from consumer forums with respect to defaulter FBOs, concerned authorities shall start an inquiry and take action against non-compliance as per the FSS Act, 2006.
- In case of the false declaration on FSSAI portal, the FBOs shall be punished u/s 63 of FSS Act 2006, which involves 6 months imprisonment and penalty up to ₹5 lacs.
- Soon there will be a provision to confiscate expired FSSAI License or FSSAI Registration under Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS). This will maintain the compliance history of such FBOs.
Hence, the FBOs are now required to seriously follow the compliance of FSSAI regulations and maintain valid FSSAI Registration and FSSAI Licenses, to avoid penal provisions under the FSSA Act 2006.
If you need any assistance related to the FSSAI registration procedure or FSSAI license renewal, please feel free to contact our business advisors at 8881-069-069.