How can ISO 27001 help in achieving GDPR compliance?
Today, we are indeed living in the 5th generation of computers, where artificial intelligence prevails the entire business scenario. With the ongoing advancements in the field of information technology, many new and much more convenient modes of data sharing have been evolved. It is beyond any doubt that the growing complexities in data management have resulted in innumerable ways of data leak and have all the more increased intricacy in information security management. Today, even the leading IT development hub are encountering the consequences of data breach, most common among which are insider trading and widespread plagiarism of web content.
Evidently, the management of the privy business-related information can never be considered a cakewalk. In order to do away with all such risks of data hacking the most appropriate way is to opt for an ISO 27001 certified Information Security Management System (ISMS).
Apart from that, the global agencies have evolved numerous strategies to curb this malice. One of them is the recently introduced General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect from May 25, 2018. Today, we will be discussing the importance of GDPR and the role of ISO certification 27001 in achieving complete GDPR compliance.
#1. What is GDPR?
With a view to put stringent controls on data leaks and data breach, In December 2016, the European Union (EU) Parliament had proposed a regulation in the favor of general data security management in 2012. It had finally agreed upon introduction of the EU General Data Protection Regulation in 2016. The GDPR was finally brought into effect from May 25, 2018.
The General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR") is a regulation for data protection and privacy for all the stakeholders within the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA).
#2. What is the role of GDPR?
- The GDPR policy regulates the export of personal and privy data outside the EU and EEA.
- Besides, the GDPR primarily aims to grant control to individuals over their personal information. The objective is to simplify the regulatory aspect of the global business environment by the unification of the regulation within the boundaries of EU.
- Notably, the GDPR emphasizes the role of ISO certification like ISO 27001 standard for demonstration of the fact that the organization is actively involved in efficient data security management in line with the international benchmark.
#3. What is the role of ISO certification 27001 in GDPR?
- ISO standards like the ISO 27001:2013 and ISO 27017:2015 (for cloud-computing) are internationally recognised for best practices in information security.
- ISO 27001 is a broad-based benchmark and encompasses the 3 core aspects for a comprehensive data security policy:
- processes and
- By implementing directives of ISO 27001 for protection of private information through this 3-pointer approach, the organization will be able to outdo not only technological perils but also other common threats, like communication gap that results in ignorance among the staff and further leads to ineffective procedures.
- One common aspect that is discussed both in GDPR and ISO certification 27001, and which addresses the problem of data breach is Risk assessment.
#4. What is the role of Risk assessment in ISO 27001?
- ISO 27001:2013 highlights the importance of Risk assessment. It directs all certified organizations to conduct a meticulous risk assessment through the identification of threats or risks that can affect an organization’s confidentially information assets or intellectual property.
- It further provides guidelines to take measures to assure the confidentiality, integrity, and accessibility of that data.
- Very importantly, GDPR specifically mandates a similar risk assessment to make sure that an organization has recognized risks that can impact personal information.
If you seek any sort of help regarding the ISO certification, feel free to contact our business advisor at 8881-069-069.
Now you can also Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates relating to your business.