Importance of EPF registration for contractors
It is beyond any doubt, the EPF registration is not only treated as a retirement planning scheme for the employees but it also a very integral part of compliance for certain establishments. The employer PF registration is a mandatory requirement for organizations like a factory or production units where contractual labor is hired.
One of the key advantages of the EPF is that compound interest received on the EPF amount is totally tax-exempt. Besides, there is the assurance of the gradual increase of your PF money deposited upon the maturity of the EPF account tenure. Even if the PF account is carried on after its maturity, it can significantly assist in meeting the retirement plans. Nonetheless, the organization eligible for a mandatory PF registration is supposed to provide the above benefits to its employees.
Here we will talk about the requirement of EPF registration for contractors. But, first of all, let us quickly understand the concept of EPF.
1. What is the Employee Provident Fund?
Basically, the Employee Provident Fund or EPF is a money-saving scheme for attaining the post-retirement objectives. The EPF amount is deducted from employee salary by the employer having EPF registration, as a part of basic perk granted by the Indian government to each and every employee of the organized sector in India. On the EPF amount, a fixed interest is regularly paid to the employee.
The Employee Provident Fund acts as a perquisite given by the organization having EPF registration to its employees over and above their basic remuneration (i.e. salary).
2. Whether EPF registration is mandatory for contractors?
As a matter of fact, the EPF registration is mandatory for organizations such as a factory or a production unit where contractual labor, e.g. workers, masons, etc. is needed. Besides, it is a compulsory requirement for the CPWD.
In the CPWD Works Manual 2012, the Union Government of India has clearly mentioned the “Responsibilities of a Contractor” u/s 34.5 as below:-
“The contractor shall comply with all the provisions of the Minimum Wages Act, 1948, Contract Labour (Regulation & Abolition) Act, 1970 and the rules framed thereunder, and any other labor laws affecting the contractual labor that may be brought into force from time to time.”
3. Which other establishments must have an EPF registration?
The Employees' Provident Funds & Miscellaneous Provisions (EPF & MP) Act, 1952 has stated that the EPF registration is a mandatory requirement for all types of establishments where contractual labor is hired:
- All those establishments that have employed contractual employees directly or indirectly i.e. by the help of a contractor, or by both ways, must get enrolled under the EPF & MP Act, 1952. This means that such establishments must get mandatory EPF registration.
- Besides, the Contract details must be furnished by all such principal employers to the EPFO, so as to confirm and follow up on the compliance status of these contractual employees.
- Accordingly, such establishments having EPF registration are required to file monthly PF returns on the 25th of every month and one annual return before the 25th of April every year.
So, these are some important guidelines regarding EPF registration of the contractors.
In case you require any sort of assistance regarding the EPF registration feel free to contact us at 8881-069-069.
Now, you can download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates relating to your business.