ISO releases the First-ever Standard for Human Resource Management
Undoubtedly all the ISO standards have their own noteworthy benefits with regard to different spheres of economy. Within their respective scale of operation in which they are applicable, these ISO standards assist in the overall development of all types of organizations whether large or small.
Nevertheless, there are evident benefits of getting an ISO certification, which are universally experienced by all organizations irrespective of their scope of work, span or the scale of operation.
The International Organization for Standardization or the ISO has now published its first ever ISO standard for human resource management.
#1. Which is the ISO standard for human resource management?
The most recent ISO management system standard, the ISO 30414, was finally approved in November 2018. This newly defined benchmark is termed as the “ISO 30414:2018 Human Resource Management — Guidelines for Internal and External Human Capital Reporting”.
It was rolled out by the International Organization for Standardization in December 2018. With that, there is now an ISO certification for the Human Resource Management.
#2. How did ISO certification for HR Management come into being?
- The ISO is a global federation of worldwide standardization bodies, also referred to as the ISO member bodies.
- Now, the task of preparing global standards is generally carried out through profound ISO Technical Committees. And in this case, this effort was made by Technical Committee 260.
- One of the renowned member bodies of ISO is ANSI — the American National Standards Institute from the United States.
- During 2011-12, a preliminary effort was first made by ANSI to frame a new standard for human capital reporting in the US. Unfortunately, the ANSI couldn’t succeed in its early attempt.
- However, it was deemed that such a standard would be framed very soon by ANSI that would eventually lead to the launching of an ISO standard in the field of HR Management.
- Despite the failure, the ISO member bodies joined hands to tackle the issue. Resultantly, the ISO certification for HR Management was approved in 22nd November 2018.
#3. How much reliable is this new ISO standard?
A universal ISO standard is a much more effectual than merely having an ANSI standard. And now we have the ISO certification for HR Management that was first suggested by ANSI and has been finally published by ISO.
Notably, Jac Fitz-enz, the Grandfather of HR Analytics, has told about the new ISO certification:
“An ethical structure, a proper methodology of research, expert training & performance standards indeed serve as the basis of an organization. Though it’s been a long, difficult journey right from the establishment of the American Society for Personnel Administration (ASPA) in 1948, now the goal is within our reach.”
#4. Why need an ISO certification for HR Management?
Here we have some frequently asked questions asked by many HR professionals-
- How is ISO certification for HR Management relevant to me if I’m working in a small firm or not for profit organization or a government company?
- Why is ISO certification important for HR Management?
- How does this ISO standard prevent all threats/risks to my career and/or my employer’s career?
- What are the various ways by which I and/or my employer can really gain from such ISO certification?
Now, to find answers to these questions, we must discuss a crucial point to be more familiar with this ISO standard.
#5. Why was ISO 30414:2018 framed?
- The principal foundation for value creation & value addition in many of the developed nations such as the US now depends upon the intangible assets like goodwill, intellectual property rights besides, the Human Resource, rather than tangible assets as was earlier considered.
- Unlike tangible assets are in physical form and have their own material value — e.g. plant & machinery, land & building and inventory, the intangible assets are nonphysical in nature but still have eternal value. Examples are patents, copyright, trademarks, goodwill. This also covers the Human Resource.
We see there was always a necessity of a global benchmark for the HR management, the global accreditation bodies came forward to define a universal standard for Human Resource management, i.e. the ISO 30414:2018.
If you require any kind of help on the process of getting ISO certification, procedure, feel free to contact our business advisor at 8881-069-069.
Now you can also Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates relating to your business.