What is the key difference between EnMS and EMIS?
With the sole objective of creating and promoting the cognizance towards sustainable development among all worldwide business community, the International Organization for Standardization had brought into effect the ISO certification 50001. Since its publication on 15th June 2011, the ISO 50001 has always stood for a formalized ISO certification process for excellence in systematic energy management systems (EnMS) and promoting energy efficiency among organisations all over the globe.
Energy management is a broad term that is being used quite distinctively in different domains. Clearly, it can imply very differently to different individuals.
However, a common perplexity that most of the professionals face that is quite a novice to the realm of ISO certification is about the difference between EnMS and EMIS.
#1. What is the difference between EnMS and EMIS?
Very importantly, the ISO certification 50001 that stands for an ideal Energy Management System (EnMS). As per the ISO 50001 guidelines, the ideal EnMS has a well-structured framework that includes 2 separate spheres- management and technical.
- Under the technical head, there is an important aspect of Energy Management Information System (EMIS). The key difference between the 2 terms EnMS and EMIS is that Energy Management System (EnMS) is a wide realm that consists of the important aspect of Energy Management Information System (EMIS).
- An EnMS is a framework by which an organization employs ideal processes to maintain the control and enhancement of energy efficiency, which is a systematic approach to energy management.
The structure of an ideal EMIS is illustrated below-
#2. What is meant by EMIS?
The Energy Management Information System or EMIS is an integral part of the desired EnMS. The EMIS highlights on gathering data that supports multiple facets of an EnMS which includes the following functions-
- The energy review,
- Calculation of an energy baseline,
- Energy Performance Indicators (EnPIs), and
- Verification of the action plan results.
However, the EMIS delivers no value until the right data is gathered and analyzed and interpreted in the right manner.
EMIS is a key aspect of the EnMS; a properly used EMIS data supports good EnMS decision-making; the EnMS guides EMIS design and ensures a good return on the EMIS investment.
If you seek any sort of help regarding the ISO certification, feel free to contact our business advisor at 8881-069-069.
Now you can also Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates relating to your business.