Where and how can the ISO certified entities use the ISO logo?
It is a well-known fact that an ISO certification is a very crucial aspect that determines the quality of the products of an organisation and musters customers’ enticement for the services it offers to them. It is a manifest fact that an ISO logo imparts a sense of reliability among the consumers, and thus the ISO certified dealers of goods & services prefer to use the logo of the certification on the premises and on their products.
However, the International Organization for Standardization or ISO has laid out separate directives for the general usage of the ISO logo by its users.
#1. Why are there strict regulations for usage of ISO logos?
There’s no doubt that for average users, clients and consumers, ISO mark implies an assurance for product quality, confidence, reliability, health safety and several other positive attributes. That is why the users of the ISO certification prefer to convey the trust factor to their prospective clients through the ISO Logo. But as an apex authoritative body, ISO is concerned about how the ISO's trademarks and logos are to be used by the certified bodies.
Any unauthorized usage of the ISO trademarks could misguide the consumers, and convey bogus repute in the market, or can cause confusion and affect the reputation of accredited entities.
#2. What is the role of ISO in regulating the use of the ISO logo?
The members of ISO, situated worldwide take suitable action in case they trace any abuse of ISO's intellectual property i.e. ISO trademarks and ISO logos, which could mislead the consumers.
#3. Who can use the ISO logo?
As per the ISO Policies, The main ISO logo (ISO + globe design) is a registered mark and use of the ISO logo is in principle granted only to ISO members, i.e. the national standards institutes which represent ISO in their respective countries. Use of the ISO logo is not authorized in connection with certification since this would give the impression that it is ISO that has carried out the certification or has approved it, whereas ISO develops and maintains ISO international standards but does not itself carry out any certification.
#4. How to identify the ISO logo?
The main ISO logo consists of the ISO monogram with the design of a globe in a coloured background, mostly blue, black or red. The sample of ISO logo is shown below-
#5. Tips on using ISO logo
- Don’t use ISO’s logo.
- Don’t adapt or modify ISO’s logo for your use.
- If you want to use a logo, ask your certification body for permission to use its logo.
- If your organization is certified to ISO 9001:2008, use the full designation (not just “ ISO 9001”).
- If your organization is certified to ISO 14001:2004, use the full designation (not just “ ISO 14001”).
- Replace use of the generic terms “ ISO 9000 certification ” and "ISO 14000 certification" by the specific terms "ISO 9001:2008" certification ” and “ ISO 14001:2004 certification ”.
- In the ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001:2004 contexts, “ certified ” "Registered" "Registration" and "Certification" in meaning and you can use either term.
- Don’t say your organization has been “ accredited ”.
- Don’t use “ ISO certified ”, or “ ISO certification ”.
- Use instead “ ISO 9001:2008 certified ”, “ ISO 9001:2008 certification ”, “ ISO 14001:2004 certified ”, or “ ISO 14001:2004 certification ”.
- Don’t display ISO 9001:2008 or ISO 14001:2004 certification marks of conformity on products, product labels, or product packaging, or in any way that may be interpreted as denoting product conformity.
- Don’t give the impression in any context that ISO 9001:2008 or ISO 14001:2004 certifications are product certifications or product guarantees.
- When including a reference to ISO 9001:2008 or ISO 14001:2004 certifications in product-related information, including advertisements, do not do so in such a way that ISO 9001:2008 or ISO 14001:2004 certifications may be interpreted as being product certifications or product guarantees.
- Be accurate and precise about the scope (the extent) of your organization’s ISO 9001:2008 or ISO 14001:2004 certifications, as far as both the activities and geographical locations covered by the certifications are concerned.
In nutshell, the logo of a particular ISO with full reference of the standard is generally printed on the ISO certificate that is issued by the accreditation body.
#6. Which Logos can be used by the entities having an ISO certification?
The users can use different logos that bear the complete reference of ISO standard which they have been granted, on their trading credentials such as visiting cards, letterheads, brochures & pamphlets, cartons, and boxes etc.
ISO marks/logos should be used in such a way that they could not be interpreted as ISO logos in a solitary manner. The short name "ISO" must not be used in isolation or given undue emphasis. Nonetheless, it is of course perfectly permissible to quote the reference number of the ISO Standard in accordance with which the product, the service or the company has been certified. The full reference, e.g. ISO 9001 2015, should be displayed in characters of the same size and weight. In addition, the name of the certification body shall be mentioned in the communication as a way of tracing the certification back to them.
The appropriate usage of the ISO standard logo can be understood from the illustration given below-
#6. What type of ISO Standard Logo can be used by users of ISO certification?
The following are not regarded as the main ISO Logo and can be used by the entities certified of ISO standard-
Replica of an ISO standard logo.
Modified or digitally edited ISO standard logo.
Any sort of artistic ISO standard icon.
#7. What type of ISO Logo is not allowed for the users of ISO certification?
As discussed above, the official ISO logo, i.e. ISO with globe-icon is a registered mark of ISO and can be used only by the members of ISO. Any of the ISO logos given below can't be used by the entities certified for ISO certification standard.
It is repeatedly advised to judiciously abide by the guidelines for usage of ISO Logo as to avoid any sort of objection from the accreditation body from which the ISO certification services have been availed.
If you seek any sort of help regarding the ISO certification in India, feel free to contact our business advisor at 8881-069-069.
Now you can easily avail online ISO certification services at the following zones:-
|ISO Certification in Delhi||ISO Certification in Pune||ISO Certification in Gurgaon|
|ISO Certification in Chennai||ISO Certification in Mumbai||ISO Certification in Bangalore|
Now you can also Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates relating to your business.