The Government has asked to not use any Chinese telecom equipment during its 4G upgradation by the Department of Telecom (DOT).
In the view of the country’s security the sources of government have told the ministry has decided to “firmly tell BSNL” not to use Chinese equipment.
Even the private telecom operators are to urge not to depend on the Chinese equipment and to bring down their dependence on Chinese-made telecom equipment.
Even the Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) has likewise gotten a similar message to not utilize Chinese gear for upgradation considering the continuous border dispute between India and China at the Line of Control (LAC).
Telecom Department Guidelines for 4G upgradation
The Telecom Department has given broad Guidelines with regard to equipment for 4G upgradation:
- The equipment made by Chinese companies should not be used while the upgradation of the network.
- The whole tender process should be re-issued by the Department of Telecom (DOT).
- The private service operators will also be directed to reduce their dependence on Chinese equipment.
- There have been several concerns around the network security of Chinese equipment in the past said by the government sources.
After the ongoing border situation, India will likewise reconsider about the data and interchanges innovation (ICT) procedure with Chinese organizations ZTE and Huawei, for 5G rollout in the nation.
Reason behind New Guidelines for 4G upgradation
Recently, the Indian army had repulsed the Chinese troops who had invaded the eastern Ladakh’s Galwan Valley on Monday. 20 brave Indian jawans lost their lives while defending the Indian Borders.
- In meanwhile, the Chinese handset maker Oppo had to cancel the live stream launch of its flagship 5G smartphone in India amid protests calls to boycott Chinese products.
- PM Sh Narendra Modi on 19th June held an all-party meeting to examine the Indo-China dispute along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
- After the worst clash since 1967 between China and India, the Chinese companies face a public backlash where anti-Chinese sentiment is already strong.
- The private telcos like Bharti Airtel, Vodafone & Idea which also uses the Chinese equipment will get affected by the effective ban on the use of Chinese network gear.
- The top smartphone brands in India like Xiaomi, Vivo, Realme, and Oppo are from China which acquires almost 76% of shares in India.
- In 2012, because of cyber espionage threats from the Chinese equipment which was used to build a telecom network the USA lawmaker warned America to look for other vendors than Chinese.
- After two years the Chinese telecom equipment maker Huawei has allegedly hacked into the BSNL network told by the parliament.
- Mukesh Ambani claimed that Reliance Jio will not have a single Chinese network part in its upcoming 5G network.
BSNL role in New Guidelines for 4G upgradation
BSNL has inspired its competitors like Bharati Airtel, Vodafone and Reliance Jio not to use the Chinese equipment for upgradation.
Indeed, this will be a tribute to the 20 brave jawans who have laid down their lives defending the Indian borders. Moreover, this will give a boost to Make in India drive and will encourage Indian manufacturers of equipment for the 4G upgradation.
Moreover, our government has brought several reforms for 8 key sectors of the economy, incl. Telecom sector.
Jai Jawan, Jai Hind!
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates relating to your business.