For every business, it is important to keep its brand image secure and popular. Without having a brand image secured, you will certainly face huge damages. The competitors can damage the business reputation so much that the whole business can collapse. Thus, to secure the brand and save yourself from the pain of damage to your business, you can use Trademark Registration and Copyright Registration. In this article, we will describe the difference between Trademark and Copyright.
What is a Trademark?
A trademark is a symbol, logo, design, term, phrase, color, sound, or mixture of these as used in the trade of goods and/or services. It identifies the origin of goods or services and differentiates them from those of others. It guarantees the exclusive use of a trademark in connection with a product or service.
What is Trademark Registration in India?
A trademark registration gives the trademark owner an exclusive right to use the mark. This implies that the trademark can be used exclusively by the owner or leased to a third party for a profit margin.
In the case of a dispute, for example, the Trademark Registration provides legal clarity and improves the rights holder’s position. A trademark registration’s validity varies, although it usually lasts for ten years.
It is possible to renew it indefinitely for an extra charge. Furthermore, trademark rights are considered personal property and are protected by judicial rulings.
The Trademarks Act of 1999 (“Act”) controls trademark registration in India. An application for registration is submitted to the Registrar of Trademarks. If the Registrar accepts the application, the trademark registration procedure can commence. Also, You can get Trademark Registration Online.
What is the advantage of registering a trademark?
There are several benefits of Trademark Registration Online. The most important benefits that you should know are as follows.
- In today’s technical and global market, new enterprises may start and grow quickly. Many young or existing firms aspire to be bought out by a larger organization. Furthermore, many enterprises rely on money from outside sources. The registration of a trademark is required to be useful to potential investors.
- For business owners, social media is a powerful tool for marketing and engaging with devoted consumers. Infringers, on the other hand, may create a false account or post illegal content on social media, tarnishing your reputation or allowing infringers to profit from your brand recognition. As a result, trademark registration is unavoidable in this situation.
- A wide range of products and services are available from a number of firms in the industry. If you’re starting a completely new business, the first step is to set yourself apart from your competition. Trademarks play an important part in this situation.
- Furthermore, moving into a worldwide market without a trademark is a risky move since someone from outside the country might mislabel your brand’s image or mark. As a result, obtaining a Trademark Registration before establishing a business in a foreign country ensures the firm’s presence and protects its trademark rights while also allowing businesses to expand.
What is a Copyright?
Copyright is an intellectual property right that grants its holder the exclusive right to create duplicates of original works for a certain period of time. Typically, creative work takes the shape of literature, art, education, or music. Copyright protects only projects that relate to a legitimate method of production. As a result, as soon as the inventor accomplishes the task, the notion of copyright is formed.
What is a Copyright Registration?
Copyright registration, like register trademark in india and patent registration, is an intellectual property right. However, it is only a legal privilege granted to creators in exchange for their one-of-a-kind work.
Copyright registration is governed by intellectual property law and protects the rights of creators who create original works of art, whether or not they are published. It assists creators with preventing their original work from being stolen or replicated, as well as providing you with a legal claim to your production.
Furthermore, It grants the individual owns a set of rights, such as the right to reproduce, translate, and so on.
To get the Copyright Registration, you need to prepare and file a copyright application. Following that, you will be assigned a number and must wait 30 days in case of objection.
If no objections are raised, the authorized person will investigate the application then, if acceptable, the registrar will grant the registration. Lastly, The registrar will send the quotations to the candidate when they have been approved.
What are the benefits of Copyright Registration?
The benefits of Copyright Registration are as follows.
- If a copyright registration occurs before any breach occurs, or within three months of the work’s original publication, the copyright owner is entitled to “legal expenses and lawyers fees” as well as “statutory damages.”
- Once completed, the copyrighted material will be registered in the Copyright Office’s Catalog. It will also be visible to the public. As a result, The work is protected by the catalog. It not only informs the public that the individual is the owner of the work, but also aids in the prevention of any unintentional infringements.
- Allows the copyright holder to register with Indian Customs in order to assist and prevent the import and export of unauthorized copies into India.
- Copyright protection acts as a powerful motivator for the development of a variety of intangible properties. Without copyright law, it would be easy for others to profit from these works without paying any money or compensation to the work’s original owner. As a result, copyright promotes entrepreneurship and creates an environment conducive to economic activity.
Learn the Difference between Trademark and Copyright
The difference between Trademark and Copyright is explained in tabular form below.
|A trademark protects elements such as a company’s logo that help identify its brand.||Books, songs, artworks are examples of literary and creative works that are protected by copyright|
|A trademark is formed by the frequent use of a mark in the course of business.||Copyright is easily obtained when unique work is created.|
|The goal of utilizing a trademark registration is to maintain the mark’s exclusivity in the market for their goods and services.||Copyright Registration offers exclusive use and distribution rights.|
|The trademark registration is valid for ten years and can be renewed to keep infringers at bay.||Copyright, on the other hand, is decades-long. The duration of copyright for an applicant is the creator’s lifespan plus 60 years.|
|The trademark protects competitors from using similar markings or words in their branding; the only goal is to develop the brand and instill trust in customers.||Copyright, on the other hand, bans everyone other than the creator from reproducing or selling the protected work, whether online or offline.|
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates narrating to your business.