On 19th July, FSSAI assigned the Food Product category 18 in the food safety compliance system (FoSCoS). It stats under General Manufacturing kind of business. Moreover, this has been introduced to comfort FSSAI registration of small and medium food businesses. In this article, we will discuss FSSAI issues directions for FBOs manufacturing Indian sweets & snacks.
Indian snacks & savories products
- Cereal or pulses flour/ Starch-based snacks & savories
- Fruit and vegetable-based snacks & savories
- Dry fruits and nuts based snacks & savories
- Ready to eat and ready to cook products Eligibility criteria
According to the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) regulation 2011, the following items are counted in:
❖ The sweet and snack products
- Milk-based sweets
- Khoa based sweets
- Chhana based sweets
- Fermented milk product based Indian sweets • Composite milk-based sweets
❖ Cereal or pulses flour/starch-based Sweets
- Cereal based Sweets
- Pulses based Sweets
- Starch-based Sweets
❖ Dry Fruit and nuts based Sweets • Indian Confections
- Fruit and Vegetables based Sweets
FSSAI issues directions for FBOs
Already licensed FBO are excluded from the norms if:
- It is manufacturing Indian sweets and snacks & savories.
- Licensed under the proprietary food category.
FBOs excluded from the Food Product Category 18
- Caterers, restaurants, and other food services.
- FBO is serving/selling fresh unpacked sweets/snacks and savories. They have to register as per the old criteria.
- Those products are already mapped in Food Safety Compliance System under Food Products Category 01-14 for Licensing and Registration purposes.
- It excludes products of food category 2.0 Order issued by FSSAI
- Directed under Section 16 (5) of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
- Issued under the Competent Authority vested under Section-16 (5) of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006.
Points to remember before registering
- Registration should be done as per the guidelines and eligibility set by the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011.
- The food products under 18.1 Indian Sweets have to follow Table 1 of Annexure-II.
- Likewise, food products under 18.2 Indian Snacks and Savouries Products have to follow Table 2 of Annexure-II.
- Contaminants including heavy metals and Pesticide residues are applicable under this head. They have specified in the category “Foods not specified” under Food Safety and Standards (Contaminants, Toxins, and Residues)
The objective behind launching the new criteria
- To provide relief to small and medium-scale manufacturers/packers manufacturing Indian sweets and snacks and savory products.
- To counteract the unavailability of standards. • Initially for horizontal testing. • Vertical standards will provide during the action.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates reciting to your business.