Construction is the second-largest Industry after Agriculture in India. India’s construction industry is rapidly increasing. Therefore it is essential to know GST on Construction Materials. In this blog, we will read about GST rates on various construction materials in detail.
Understand About GST
GST stands for goods and services tax. It is a type of indirect tax which applies to the consumption of many goods and services across or nation.
Implemented from July 2017, GST has replaced many traditional taxes such as excise duty, VAT, services tax, etc. Although, GST registration is essential for registering the businesses.
GST Rates on Construction Materials
- GST for sand is fixed at 5%
- GST rate on Marble and Granite blocks is 12%.
- Cement has a GST rate of 28%
- Copper wires also have a GST rate of 28%
- Wallpapers also have a GST rate of 28%
GST on Tiles
The detailed GST Rates for different types of tiles are as follows.
- Earthen or roofing tiles have 5% GST.
- Bamboo flooring tiles have 18% GST.
- Tiles of cement or concrete or artificial stone have 28% GST.
- Similarly, Ceramic flooring blocks, support or filler tiles have 28% GST.
- Floor coverings of plastics, Glazed ceramic flags and paving, Panels, boards, tiles, blocks, and similar vegetable fibre articles also have 28% GST.
GST on Bricks
Like Tiles, Bricks are of various types. These various types have different types of GST rates. These rates are as follows.
- Building bricks and bricks of fossil meals or similar siliceous rock have only a 5% GST rate.
- Sand lime bricks and fly ash bricks have 12% GST rate.
- Refractory bricks attract 18% GST rates.
Articles of cement, of concrete or artificial stone, whether or not reinforced, Glass based paving blocks, slabs, bricks, squares, tiles and other pieces of pressed or moulded Glass, whether or not wired is having a GST rate of 28%.
GST on Bricks and Wallpapers
GST on paints has 28 %. Likewise, Wallpapers and wall coverings also have 28% GST Tax.
GST on Interior Products and Bathroom Fittings
Padlocks and locks are taxed at 18% under GST Rates. While other bathroom fittings such as Ceramic sinks, washbasins, wash basin pedestals, Sanitary ware and parts thereof of iron and steel Ceramic pipes, conduits, guttering and pipe fittings are taxed at 28 per cent.
Only Tube or pipe fittings (couplings, elbows, sleeves), copper, aluminium, plastic, nickel, iron or steel attract GST at 18% rate.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the freshest updates narrating to your business.