The ISBN Registration Process in India seems to be confusing to many. The registration process involves many steps. Therefore, one might feel overwhelmed. However, with the right guidance and expertise, ISBN Registration can become as easy as ABC.
Therefore, in this article, we will understand everything about ISBN and the registration process of ISBN in India.
What is ISBN?
The International Standard Book Number (ISBN) is a unique number. The number helps in identifying the books. Besides, it also helps to provide booksellers and readers with important book information.
In simple words, ISBN is a form of a 13-digit machine-readable EAN barcode, especially for books. As a result, ISBN Codes make book distribution and buying easier throughout the worldwide supply chain.
Importance of ISBN Registration Process
ISBN registration becomes important today more than ever. Furthermore, every online book-selling e-commerce store makes ISBN compulsory for books or eBooks. Moreover, the absence of an ISBN might cause readers to question that the book is false or plagiarised.
Which items qualify for the ISBN Registration Process?
Products that qualify for an ISBN include:
- Firstly, Monographic books, either textual or containing instructional content
- Secondly, Publications not intended to be regularly updated
- Similarly, Individual/Personal articles
- Educational films and videos not meant for entertainment
- Electronic or mixed media publications
- Lastly, Publications printed on demand
Who can get International Standard Book Number?
Broadly, the following persons or entities wishing to publish a book are eligible to apply for an ISBN.
- A Self-publisher
- A Publisher
- An Author
- A University
- An Institution
- A Government Department
How to apply for the ISBN Registration Process in India?
You need to follow the basic lists listed below to acquire an ISBN in India.
- Firstly, Get yourself published by or take over processing by a renowned Indian book publisher.
- Secondly, Decide the book’s size and amount of pages and complete them.
- Finish and maintain the design of the book cover.
- Besides, Choose the book format (Paperback/Electronic/Hardcover). Recall that you will each need to send a separate application as distinct ISBNs are required.
- Choose the maximum retail price of your book.
- Consult the business advisors at E-Startup and provide mandatory documents.
That’s it. You will get the delivery of your ISBN quickly.
Various Documents mandatory for ISBN Registration Process in India?
ISBN Registration requires only a few documents that are as follows.
- ID proof of the Author
- Content of Book
- Description of Book (Cover Page and the Title of the book)
- Publisher & Printer Details
Where should I display ISBN on a Book?
For paperback or hardcover books, one must display ISBN Number on-
- Verse of the title page.
- The foot of the title page
- The lower portion of the outer back cover.
What are the Benefits of ISBN Identification?
There are multiple benefits of ISBN Registration. Some of the most significant are as follows.
- Firstly, Proper use of the ISBN allows identifying different product forms and editions of a book.
- ISBN Identification helps in getting a global recognition
- ISBN provides the right to the author to be a book publisher as well.
- It helps in compiling and updating bibliographic databases and book trade directories.
- ISBNs enable quick and efficient ordering and distribution of books, controlling stock, managing sales data, and supply chain systems.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and never miss the brand-new updates relating to your business.