A major step towards a better future to ensure safe and wholesome food for school children, the CEO of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India FSSAI bans sales of junk food and unhealthy food in canteens of schools and other educational institutions.
Let’s understand in detail-
FSSAI bans sales of junk food
The FSSAI has issued the notification on Sales and advertisements of junk foods in school canteens and within 50 metres around the school. Also, campuses have banned in order to promote safe and wholesome food for children. The Food Safety and Standards (Safe Food and healthy diets for School Children) Regulations, 2020 in this concern has been notified now after consideration of stakeholders.
Guidelines issued by FSSAI
According to the FSSAI official, the purpose is to render safe food and a balanced diet for children in schools. Foods which are high in fat, salt and sugar cannot be sold to children in school canteens or mess premises or hostel kitchens or within 50 metres of the school campus.
Before this, the Delhi High Court ordered FSSAI to control junk food being sold in school canteens in 2015. Soon after, the expert’s committee at the top food regulating agency re-analysed and created new guidelines i.e. FSSAI bans sales on junk food.
FSSAI Registration Mandatory for School Canteens, Kitchens
As per the new guidelines by FSSAI, Canteen, mess, kitchen working in a school should have an FSSAI food licence. Also, food industry workers contracted by the field of education to function the Mid-Day Meal scheme must obtain an FSSAI registration from the apex food regulating agency and comply with the necessities of hygienic practices as specified under schedule 4 of the Food Safety and Standards Act.
FSSAI Implementations Steps on banning junk food
FSSAI bans sales on junk food, healthy and hygienic food to serve to students. Some of the important points are –
- The school’s administrations have to select a comprehensive programme for promoting safe food and healthy diets for school children.
- They also have to switch the school campus into Eat Right School focusing on safe and healthy food, local, seasonal food and no food waste as per the defined guidelines.
- Further, this has to be observed by a nodal officer nominated by each school.
- The School authorities have to raise the consumption of a safe and balanced diet in the school as per the guidelines issued by the National Institute of Nutrition (NIN).
- Also, it is mandatory for food business operators to obtain an FSSAI registration and FSSAI food licence.
- The FSSAI registration or license would ensure that FBO complies with the requirements of hygienic practices as specified under schedule 4 of the Food Safety and Standards Act.
In case, if you need any further guidance as regards the FSSAI registration, please feel free to contact our business advisors at 8881-069-069.
Also, Download E-Startup Mobile App, and never miss the latest updates relating to your business.