Several talented home-chefs and bakers have emerged as a result of the lockdown imposed by the epidemic. If you also run a homemade food business in India, you must know and get FSSAI Registration or License. If you don’t have one, your business can also be banned by FSSAI or you might have to face a hefty penalty which might go up to Rs. 5 Lakhs. Let’s understand all about FSSAI Registration for selling homemade food in India.
What is FSSAI?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, or FSSAI, is a government agency responsible for regulating the food industry and food businesses in India. It is a separate organization that reports directly to the Indian government’s Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSS Act) is a single piece of legislation covering all aspects of food regulation in India, and it is under this law that the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) was created. Food items are subjected to rigorous testing to prevent food tampering and the distribution of substandard goods.
It establishes the standards for the Indian food industry and is in charge of registering and licensing Food Business Operators (FBO). Therefore, FSSAI to regulate the food industry in India has established FSSAI Registration and License.
What is FSSAI Registration?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) requires all businesses dealing with food to have some kind of registration or license before they may legally produce, prepare, store, distribute, or sell food.
Depending on the scope and character of operations, a Food Business Operator (FBO) may be required to register with the FSSAI known as Basic FSSAI Registration or to receive a licensing from the agency known as FSSAI License.
It is a 14-digit registration or licensing number that appears on all food packaging and it is unique for every food business. The purpose of the registration process is to increase FBO responsibility for ensuring the safety and consistency of their food items. Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Business) Regulations, 2011 govern the process and standards for obtaining a license or registration for a food business.
You can understand more about FSSAI Registration at:
Important things to know about FSSAI Registration for Selling Homemade Food in India
- All businesses involved in the sale of handmade foods are required to register with FSSAI or obtain basic fssai registration. If your yearly revenue is more than Rs 12 Lakh, you will need to obtain a FSSAI License.
- Even within the realm of licence acquisition, subsets exist. Those with yearly sales exceeding Rs 12 Lakh but less than Rs 20 Crore must receive their FSSAI licence from their respective state’s FSSAI office; those with sales over Rs 20 Crore must apply to the Central FSSAI office.
- After you have completed the registration process, the licence that was issued to you is only valid in the state in which you first requested the licence; it cannot be used in any other state.
- The FSSAI registration duration might be between one and five years, and it can be renewed if desired.
- Businesses that offer homemade food must submit a renewal application 30 days before their FSSAI registration expires.
- If the registration renewal is submitted late, a penalty of Rs 100 per day will be imposed.
- The Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006 stipulates that anyone engaged in the business of selling handmade food without proper registration can be fined up to Rs 2 Lakh.
Key Points to remember for Home Made Food Business in India as per FSSAI Standards
- Always keep the area where the meal is cooked clean.
- Light, air, and frequent disinfection must all be in sufficient supply.
- Availability of clean water is necessary.
- All procedures must be adhered to in order to prevent the accumulation of dirt and bacteria on the kitchen’s utensils. Every effort must be made to ensure the cleanest possible equipment is utilized.
- Workers need to have access to protective equipment such gloves, hard hats, and clean aprons. Personal cleanliness must be highlighted.
Benefits of obtaining FSSAI Registration for Selling Homemade Food
- A food business’s ability to legally operate, gain credibility, guarantee the quality and safety of its products, increase its client base, and facilitate its growth are all enhanced by obtaining the appropriate FSSAI Registration or License.
- Registration with the FSSAI makes it easier for food businesses to attract investment whether through business loans or seed funding.
- The FSSAI Registration is also useful for homemade food businesses since it shows customers that they care about their health and the safety of their food, two factors that are important in building a sustainable customer base.
In conclusion, FSSAI Registration is essential to operate your homemade food business legally. You must adhere to FSSAI Regulations and obtain FSSAI Registration to expand your business and profits.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates reciting to your business.