Entering as Startups are the dream of many young entrepreneurs. However, running a startup isn’t a simple task. Like established businesses, startups also need to address legal compliances, take care of their quality standards and implement better management. Thus, here startups also implement ISO Certification to be successful in the long run. One of the essential certifications is ISO 14001 Certification. In this article, we will read about How Can a Startup Benefit from ISO 14001 Certification.
What is ISO and How can a Startup Benefit from ISO 14001 Certification?
ISO stands for International Organization for Standardization. It is a non-governmental, internationally popular, and independent organization. ISO was established in 1947 and is currently headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
The ISO comprises members from 165 nations. The members from these nations are experts and all these experts set standards for different management systems. In addition, ISO provides technical reports, technical specifications, publicly available specifications, technical corrections, and guidelines in addition to production standards.
What is ISO 14001 Certification?
ISO 14001 Certification sets standards for the environmental management system. It provides a stepwise guide and framework for organizations of every size and type to establish an effective environmental management system.
Furthermore, ISO 14001 provides recommendations for environmental systems applications. Specific techniques like audits, messaging, labeling and environmental concerns such as climate change are also present in other standards of ISO 14000 Family of Standards.
Today, all the reputable organizations in the world are certified with ISO 14001. The standard basically focuses on improving environmental performance with regard to the management of environmental aspects. ISO 14001 is the only standard in the ISO 14000 family that can be used for certification. This family includes 21 other standards.
Read more about it in detail, – ISO 14000 Family of Standards
What is the Environmental Management System?
ISO develops different kinds of ISO Certifications for a variety of management systems. One such system is an Environmental Management System.
In the Environmental Management System, the organization tries to address environmental concerns. The best Environmental Management System as per ISO Standards may include-
- Firstly, Approval seals or eco-labels, self-declared claims relating to the environment, and pre-evaluated environmental information on products and services.
- Managing the environmental impact of their activities and demonstrate their sound environmental management ability.
- They are reducing the universal environmental impact of their products and services.
- Establish a vital link to external shareholders.
- Meet transparent and verifiable requirements to help organizations dealing in emission reduction projects.
- GHG verification or validation
Why do startups need ISO 14001 Certification?
ISO Certification for Startups can play a key role in establishing credibility and better management systems. The ISO 14001 Certification may not only help in protecting the environment but also help you in utilizing new techniques. These new techniques might reduce the overall expenses.
Also, Startups need an additional boost and quick growth. Facing legal issues can set any startup back in the long race of success. In addition, ISO 14001 Certification may also save them from any legal penalty.
How can a Startup Benefit from ISO 14001 Certification?
Startups can benefit enormously from ISO 14001 Certification. The reason is that ISO 14001 is well-designed for both organizations and the environment. Let us look at some key points for how a startup can benefit from ISO Certification.
- Cost savings are one of the primary requirements for startups. Initially, they might want to invest low and save more. Thus, ISO 14001 Certification may play an important role here. For example, it may help in reducing costs of electricity bills, delivery costs, etc. The more an organization implements ISO 14001 Standards, the more it will save.
- Credibility is the leading asset for success in any business. Whether it is a startup or a multi-millionaire old company, without credibility, it will fail. Thus, it becomes even more important for startups to build credibility and beat their competitors by it. ISO 14001 Certification demonstrates trustworthiness and honesty.
- Similarly, to grow, startups might need to build strategy and objectives. The recent edition of ISO 14001 (2015) further emphasizes the alignment of the goals of the EMS with the organization’s strategic objectives. As a result, ISO Certification aids in boosting productivity and meeting the end goals of the business.
In conclusion, ISO 14001 Certification is one of the most important certifications by ISO. Having this certification can positively impact your startup.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and never avoid the freshest updates relating to your business.