GST is exempt on several healthcare services.
However, it is still mandatory for companies, doctors and other medical professionals to get GST Registration for Healthcare Service in various circumstances.
This article will guide all that you need to know about GST Registration for Healthcare Service.
When do you need GST Registration for Healthcare Service?
You need GST Registration in India for Healthcare service if:
- Your annual turnover exceeds Rs. 40 Lakhs and Rs. 20 Lakhs in special category states.
- You provide healthcare services in more than one state in India.
- You rent out the premises for carrying out healthcare services or sell medicines.
Consider consulting a professional CA from our team for more information on whether you need to get GST Registration for a specific type of healthcare service that you are providing.
Why to get GST Registration as Healthcare Service Provider?
Availment of ITC
Healthcare service providers, such as doctors, enjoy GST exemption, which means they are not required to pay any GST.
However, this also means they are unable to claim input tax credit (ITC) for their major expenses.
- But, If healthcare service providers purchase goods and services for their business operations, such as medical equipment, office supplies, or maintenance services, they can claim ITC on the GST paid for these items.
- ITC can be claimed on the GST paid for input services like accounting, legal, or consulting services, which are used for the business.
- When healthcare providers purchase capital goods like machinery or furniture, they can claim ITC on the GST paid for such items.
If your healthcare service providing business has more turnover limit as prescribed above, and you do not register for GST, you will face hefty penalties.
Expansion of Healthcare Service Business
If you want to expand your health care service business to more than one state, you must have GST Registration.
Having a GST Registration Certificate and GSTIN shows that you are legally compliant. This helps you build credibility with the customers as well as other businesses.
Also learn: How to Download GST Registration Certificate
Document Requirement to get GST Registration for Healthcare Service
- Bank Account Details
- Aadhaar card
- Proof of address
- PAN Card
- Proof of identity
- Business registration certificate
- Any other documents that may be required by the GST authorities
Post GST Registration Compliances for Healthcare Service Providers
Healthcare providers must adhere to their registration type and regularly do GST Return Filing.
Failure to meet the specified filing deadlines may result in penalties and interest.
Additionally, healthcare providers are obligated to maintain accurate books of accounts and records in accordance with the GST Act.
These records encompass invoices, bills of supply, purchase registers, expense vouchers, and other pertinent documents.
It is crucial to preserve these records for a minimum of six years from the conclusion of the respective financial year.
So, one of the best ways to do so is through Online Bookkeeping and Accounting Service.
Moreover, If you want any other guidance relating to GST Registration for Healthcare Service, please feel free to talk to our business advisors at 8881-069-069.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates narrating to your business.