Domesticating animals and keeping them as pets has become fashionable, and some people even consider animals to be family members. So there are huge benefits to starting a pet shop business in India. In this article, you will understand how to start pet shop business in India.
What is the Pet Shop Business in India?
Customers can buy and sell live animals at pet and pet supply stores. There are several rules in place to protect the animals’ well-being and to keep the black market in check.
It is more important to treat the silent with compassion and empathy because they can’t express their feelings.
Thus, Pet stores are businesses dealing with animals, and they must be subject to licensing requirements and operational standards.
Stepwise Process to Start Pet Shop Business in India
Research the Business Model
Analyze the wide range of goods and services available in the pet business market and select those that are in high demand among the target audience.
Then, based on the results of your analysis, determine how much money you have to spend, what type of veterinarian you can afford, and what sort of product or services you want to offer.
The most popular and beneficial business models for Pet Shop Business are as follows:
- Pet Sitting
- Pet Boarding
- Pooper Scooper
- Pet Training
- Dog and Cat Grooming
- Pet Food
- Pet Business Marketing
- Portrait Making of Pets Business
Analyze your Competitors in the Market
Another key component of starting a business is doing research on your competition. If you run a pet business in your city, you’re competing with every other pet store owner in the area, big or little.
In order for you to succeed, you must evaluate their business and marketing methods, and if those methods are successful, they will be successful for you as well.
However, The only way to stay ahead of the competition is by constantly innovating and improving your own business.
Your marketing strategy should be updated from time to time and your company methods should be improved to make them more effective.
For example, you can have Website Development for your Pet Shop and use Local SEO to attract relevant customers.
Obtain Mandatory Licences to start Petshop Business
Pet Shop Licence
If you run a pet shop, you must have a Certificate of Registration issued by the Animal Welfare Board of the state in which you are operating.
The State Board or the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) can seal the Pet Shop and seize the animals on exhibit for sale if a Registration Certificate is not acquired or legally valid.
In addition, the SPCA and the State Board have the authority to appoint an inspector to conduct an inspection of any Pet Shop at any time.
Shop Establishment Registration
A Shop Establishment License or Shop Licence (“Certificate”) is required under the Act for all businesses and establishments, including those operating from home.
Owners who operate their businesses out of their homes are also needed to have this Certificate. The owners of e-commerce businesses, online businesses, online stores, and establishments must be registered under this Act and get the Certificate in order to operate their businesses online. All shops and commercial establishments shall be registered under the Act within 30 days after opening for business, regardless of size.
Know the Important Tips to start Pet Shop Business in India
- Running a pet store is a demanding business. As a pet store owner, you’ll need a lot of attention and focus at all times. As a result, you’ll need to hire employees who can help with anything from selling merchandise to pet care. Consider hiring people that have a passion for working with animals as part of your team.
- Consider how you may stay one step ahead of your competition while keeping an eye on your competition. As a matter of fact, some people like to feed their pets the same type of food from the same brand so that they can get it whenever they need it. So, always be aware of the needs of your customers and convert them to loyal customers.
- If you wish to receive benefits from the government and banks, make sure to apply for MSME Registration.
- There is a high chance that if your business is successful, others might copy it. Therefore, you must have legal rights to protect your business. Trademark Registration and Reserving a Unique Company Name through Company Formation
Obtain Mandatory Registrations for Pet Shop in India
There are some mandatory registrations that you need to start a pet shop business in India. Some of them are as follows:
- In order to start a business in India, you’ll need to apply for GST Registration, which is the country’s goods and service tax registration.
- If you are importing or exporting pets, you will need to have IEC Code.
- PF Registration if you employ twenty or more employees.
- ESI Registration if you employ ten or more employees having a monthly salary less than Rs. 21,000/-.
Download E-Startup Mobile App and Never miss the latest updates narrating to your business.